Mission & Vision Statement
We are dedicated to providing a safe and nurturing learning environment at the high school for health professions and human services. We prepare our students to enter higher education and the world of health care by maintaining challenging academic standards and integrating education into professional settings so that they acquire scientific knowledge, ethics, integrity and compassion.
Our Teaching Philosophy
Students are placed in heterogeneous classes, where they collaborate and learn from each other. The interdisciplinary, thematic curriculum is hands-on, project-based, and provides students with opportunities to learn about and understand how our interdependent global community functions and interacts. The curriculum focuses on particular themes, which allow for critical thinking and understanding in depth. Extended class time enables students to actively engage in project based learning activities and assures for more time on task.
Our curriculum is aligned with the New York State Standards. Students will be well prepared to pass Regents Examinations required for graduating with an Advanced Regents Diploma and for continuing their education. The preparation and rigorous instructional program will prepare all students to meet and surpass graduation requirements.
- We value each individual. We believe one person can make a difference.
- We value the process of learning. We believe knowledge is power and the journey is the reward.
- We believe that each member of our learning community is vital to our success. We value the diverse contributions of each member of our learning community. We believe people learn best from each other in heterogeneous, collaborative groupings.
- We value the differences and similarities of the human spirit and the people of the world. We believe that we are all linked in some way.
- We value effective communication and creative problem solving skills. We believe in the importance of understanding each other and our world.
- We value challenges. We believe that anything worth doing requires passion, persistence, commitment, calculated risk-taking and creativity.
- We value respect, responsibility, reflective thinking, accountability, flexibility, kindness, resourcefulness, generosity and integrity. We believe in moral and ethical behavior.
- We value a supportive, caring and safe environment. We believe in multiple perspectives for all of our students.
- We value our local and global communities. We believe in embracing our responsibilities as contributing members to our communities through responsible and informed decision making and through community service.
- We value a community of practice.
- We believe collectively that every child will succeed.